NCCSC is pleased to offer training in an under-utilized tool – the shotgun. This course is designed to develop understanding, proficiency and confidence with the shotgun for self-defense. Jim developed the curriculum in conjunction with Law Enforcement Officers to emphasize training toward home and urban environments. The shotgun is a specialized tool and serves its operator in situations where a pistol is inadequate or inappropriate. Jim clarifies and dispels myths about the shotgun’s abilities in order for the student to know its role and limitations. Jim is an NRA Certified Instructor in 6 Disciplines, UCCA certified, PPCT Defensive Tactics Instructor, and certified in multiple IPTT (Israeli) Disciplines. More information on Jim and his training company (Tuscarora Tactical Training) can be found at www.tuscaroratactical.com.
Each course builds on the other -the complexity of the techniques and level of detail increases with experience. After successful completion of any of the following courses, students will be prepared and more confident to defend themselves and their families if needed. Shooting with movement, manipulation skills, cover & concealment, and communication are covered in varying depths dependent upon the class’s skill level.
Defensive Shotgun I
A 4 - 5 hour course providing instruction on basic skills, proficiency and the mindset required to confidently operate a shotgun in an urban life-threatening situation. Defensive Shotgun I is geared toward the student with some shotgun experience. The student will develop skills to increase speed, accuracy, and confidence. The class begins with a hands-on classroom session on the range followed by shooting drills designed to reinforce technique and proficiency. Topics: Use of Force, Loading/Unloading, Ready Positions, Stance, Speed Shooting, Recoil Control, and Shot Placement.
125 rounds of bird shot and 20 rounds of buckshot are required (Ammo is available at a discount to students. Please mention when registering)
Cost $175 includes range fee. A 50% deposit is required to hold your slot.
Classes are held regardless of weather.
To see the NCCSC calendar for available Defensive Shotgun I dates: CLICK HERE
Call or email Jim to register - 610-399-1188 firstname.lastname@example.org
Shotgun Course Required Equipment:
(Rentals available, contact us for details)
- A desire to learn
- A safe and serviceable shotgun (Pump or semi-auto 18 – 20” barrels are best)
- LE, private contractors, and first responders should run their duty gear
- ANSI eye protection, and digital ear protection.
- (Digital ear protection is REQUIRED to ensure all direction and commands are heard and understood)
- Digital Ears are available for purchase the day of class.
- Be sure to ask for them at time of registration. We have several models and price points.
- Sling for the shotgun
- A belt, forend, or butstock mounted shell carrier for extra shells
- Hat, neck scarf, bug spray, rain gear and bags to carry your gear.
- Wear clothing for seasonal weather in order to stay comfortable.
- A “sacrificial” T-shirtis required for each class.
- You will have the opportunity to perforate this shirt during class when we “dress” your target with it!
- Water, drinks, snacks
Knee and elbow protection is a good idea, but not mandatory.