NRA Defensive Pistol is a four to five hour period of instruction. As a result of their participation in this course, participants should be able to explain and demonstrate the following:
- The importance of carrying and using a pistol responsibly and ethically for personal protection.
- How the NRA Rules for Safe Gun Handling are applied to concealed carry.
- Basic principles of concealment.
- Presenting a pistol – re-holster.
- Mental awareness.
- Mental Preparation to develop a defensive mindset for carrying and using a pistol for personal protection.
- Techniques for avoiding life-threatening confrontations.
- Explain the psychological and physiological changes that may occur during an attack.
- Flash sight picture.
- Reload under stress.
- Clear common stoppages- immediate action drills.
- Present a pistol from concealment and re-holster.
- Cover and concealment.
- Present a pistol from concealment and shoot targets at varying distances.
- Move off the line of attack and shoot.
- Qualify for the NRA Defensive Pistol Certificate.
- Pocket Pistols.
- Quality pistol appropriate for concealed carry – minimum 9 mm or 38 special.
- Optional pocket pistol if the student has one they would like to shoot.
- Quality strong side hip holster – recommended form fitted leather or Kydex®. Must cover trigger/trigger guard area. SERPA® style holsters are not permitted.
- Quality belt, designed to carry a holster and firearm and magazine pouch.
- 200 rounds of quality factory ammunition.
- 2 spare magazines or speed loaders with pouches.
- Proper concealed carry clothing.
- Eye protection.
- Electronic hearing protection.
Students who attend this course are individuals who have made a conscientious decision to lawfully carry a pistol for personal protection in their daily lives and seek practical training on how to confidently use that firearm in real-world scenarios using both standard defensive pistol as well as pocket pistols. Only those students who successfully complete a timed course of fire will be awarded the course completion certificate.
To see the current list of NRA Defensive Pistol courses: CLICK HERE